On Monday the 5th September, a new variety DURACK OATS was released at the GIWA Oat field day in Northam, WA by the breeder Dr Pamela Zwer, Director General of DAFWA Dr Mark Webb and the Managing Director of the GRDC Dr Steve Jefferies.
Durack (trialled as WA02Q302-9) was bred by the National Oat Breeding Program which is a combined effort between SARDI and DAFWA.
The variety is a shorter season tall type with excellent grain quality which we hope will have dual purpose capabilities. Durack will give growers in non-traditional, lower rainfall regions a suitable option.
The variety was named after the Durack river in Western Australia.
Durack is still listed as ‘Potential Milling’ – Final milling trials are still to be completed and thus far the feedback has been positive.
Durack Oats will be available for the 2017 season through your local Heritage Broadacre Agent:
- Tatiara Seeds: Bordertown, SA (08) 8752 0054
- Modra Seeds: Ungara, SA (08) 8688 8094
- Melchiorre Seeds: Narrogin, WA (08) 9881 1155
- EDSCO: Kellerberrin, WA (08) 9045 4036
- ASG: Moora, WA (08) 9651 1069
- Hart Bros Seeds: Junee, NSW (02) 6924 7206
- Superior Seed Co: Deniliquin, NSW (03) 5881 6689
- Auswest Seeds:Forbes, NSW (02) 6852 1500
- Baker Seed Co: Rutherglen, VIC (02) 6032 9484
- AGF Seeds: Smeaton, VIC (03) 5345 6262
- Wimmera Grain: Rupanyup, VIC (03) 5385 5008
Early interest in the variety has been strong, to secure seed for 2017 speak to your local Heritage Broadacre Agent.